Oils: The Differences Between Unsaturated Fats

Author: L. A. Briggs // Category: ,

Posted February 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM
 
I’m sure many of you readers wonder why you use canola or vegetable oil in baking but not olive oil. What are the real differences between the different types of cooking oils?

There are many different types of oils used in cooking, the most common of which are canola oil, olive oil, safflower oils, sunflower oil, coconut oil, and grapeseed oil. Each of the different types of oils is used for different cooking methods and at different cooking temperatures.

Oils like safflower, sunflower and flax seed oil are mostly used at lower temperatures or used in cold applications such as in salad dressings. Canola oil and olive oil can be used at higher temperatures. Canola oil is often chosen over olive oil in baking due to its more mild taste. Olive oil can often have a very strong flavor which is more suited to cooking and grilling than to baking. However, most any type of oil can be used in baking applications, but most are not since they are either more costly than canola oil or they give an undesirable flavor to the baked goods.

Coconut oil is one of the only types of oil that has a very extensive range of cooking temperatures and uses. It has a very mild flavor, which allows it to be used in both cooking and baking. However, its use is often limited since the oil solidifies at room temperature whereas other types of oils remain liquid.

It is very important to choose the proper oil when cooking at high temperatures  (above 400°F). An oil that is perfectly safe and harmless at room temperature can become unhealthy when cooked at high temperatures. When oils are cooked at high temperatures, their chemical structure begins to break down, and the oil experiences changes in its characteristics, which can cause it to be less healthy than it was prior to being heated. If you are cooking with oils it is recommended that you don’t turn the heat up to more than medium-high (325°F).

I use a variety of oils when I cook, and the type of oil I use depends on what I am doing. If I am sautéing some vegetables such as mushrooms or onions, I typically use the coconut oil since it can be safely used at higher temperatures. If I am making a marinade or a sauce, I typically use olive oil since it has a wonderful flavor. I might also use vegetable or canola oil for this as well if I don’t want the strong flavor of the olive oil. However, most of the time I use vegetable or canola oil only when baking. I personally don’t like the flavor that olive oil gives to my baked goods.

_______________________________________________________________

Recipe of the Day

Barbecue Chipotle Marinade

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2-3 Tbsp barbeque sauce
1 Tbsp Tone’s Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (or similar)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add desired meat to bowl and let marinade until ready to cook. I typically use this marinade on chicken. It is also good on vegetables such as mushrooms, peppers, onions, zucchini, and yellow squash.

This is a recipe of my own making, although most of the time I don’t bother to measure out the ingredients; I just use whatever looks good.

1 Response to "Oils: The Differences Between Unsaturated Fats"

J.D. Says :
2/11/11, 2:03 PM

How about peanut oil?

Post a Comment